This is a question that I personally have always struggled to answer as I wouldn’t be doing the job that I love doing today, RECRUITING, if I had followed my career plan, but it definitely helped me in my early career.
Some people love a plan and others are happy to take life as it comes. I have put together a list of pros and cons but would be keen to hear others’ thoughts as it is often a question that is asked at interview, “What is your long term career plan”?
- It can help you take responsibility for your weaknesses – it gives you the opportunity to look at where you can improve and set tasks to help you achieve this. Even the little things can make a big difference.
- Time flies and, before you know it, you have been in the same job for years and have not learnt any new skills. Having a plan allows you to put timescales in place and not get stuck in a rut.
- A career plan can help you take charge of extra training that you may need to get you to your goal. It is easy to put off that evening training course or half finish an online one, but being aware of what you need to do will always spur you on to achieve what you need to.
- It will give you confidence as you will begin to recognise your strengths and weaknesses, decide on meaningful targets and set plans to achieve them.
- You can become fixated on your plan and miss other opportunities. Sometimes the best opportunities are the ones that are not planned. I speak from experience on this, as I hadn’t even thought about working in recruitment six years ago and here I am now writing this!
- It can put pressure on you if you haven’t achieved what you set out to do in a certain timescale.
- You may follow your path because you think you have to or don’t know what other opportunities would be good for you.
My view, after writing this, is that it is important to have an idea of what you want to aim for and how to achieve it. BUT you are always able to reassess your plan as we all know that, over time, our strengths and experience develops and this can open up other opportunities that you might not have considered.
Kameo Recruitment are able to offer careers advice and are happy to discuss our current opportunities with you. Please do get in touch if you are looking for your next career move.